International travel advances the mission, values, and global engagement profile of the university and provides enriching experiences to students, employees, and members of our community. OSU is committed to supporting the health, safety, and security of all who participate in university-related international travel.

Requirement to Register International Travel

All employees, students, and others who engage in university-related international travel are required to register their travel with the university and adhere to OSU's International Travel Policy. 

Read the policy

Register your travel as soon as possible, ideally 60 days in advance of planned travel. Registering your travel will help OSU locate you and coordinate help in the event of an emergency.

Undergraduate students: 

  • Students traveling on education abroad programs managed through OSU Global Opportunities (OSU GO) are registered as part of the enrollment process. No additional steps are necessary.
  • All undergraduate students travelling internationally will be registered and supported by OSU GO, including those not on an OSU GO program. Send an email to [email protected] to initiate the registration process. Student travelers who will have financial expenses paid by the university will also have to complete a pre-trip request and manage all related expenses via Concur. See below.

All others: All other travelers must register by creating a "pre-trip request" for international travel in Concur. Travelers without an ONID will need an employee to register on their behalf. This process also serves as the expense authorization process for any travelers who will have financial expenses paid by the university. Visit the OSU Travel & Expense Office's International Travel page for detailed information about how to register your travel via Concur. Pre-trip requests should be approved before making any travel-related purchases or arrangements. Be sure to update Travel & Expense if your travel plans change after submitting your pre-trip request. 

Please note: U.S. Territories are considered international travel for the purposes of this policy. Additional health, safety, and travel insurance coverages are provided for registered travelers to those destinations.

International Travel Insurance & ISOS

Registered travelers are automatically enrolled in a travel insurance policy with a 24/7 health and safety service. 

Insurance: OSU's International Travel Accident & Sickness Plan includes a $500,000 lifetime maximum per covered accident/sickness; evacuation due to security/political unrest, natural disaster, emergency medical situations; and trip interruption and cancellation benefits. 

ISOS: Registered travelers are also enrolled with International SOS (ISOS), a global network of doctors, security experts, and assistance coordinators who are available 24/7 to support you.

International travel insurance & ISOS


High-Risk Destinations

The International Travel policy defines intermediate-risk and high-risk destinations. Travelers to these destinations have additional requirements and may require approval from a senior administrator. If your travel includes an intermediate- or high-risk destination, this will be identified during the travel registration process. OSU GO or the Travel & Expense Office will work with the traveler to collect all required information and complete additional steps. This process will take additional time. Please allow three weeks for processing of High-Risk Travel Request Forms and do not make travel arrangements before receiving approval. See International Travel Policy Section 5.2. 

If you have multiple destinations, be sure to use the country with the highest risk rating when you register travel in Concur.

High-risk destination list High-Risk Travel Request Form

If you have trouble accessing this document, please contact the Global Affairs Associate

Important Resources for Travelers

Travel Clinics

OSU provides pre-travel consultations to students, faculty and staff that are specific to the individual traveler's health history, destination, potential activities, and the health and safety issues of the destination.

Employees     Students

Export Controls

University Policy on Export Controls also applies to University-Related International Travel. The Export Controls and International Compliance (ECIC) office provides determinations and guidance related to export control requirements, including activities with sanctioned countries which require significant advance planning. Travelers should contact [email protected] at the earliest opportunity.

Data Security

The Office of Information Security provides data security consultations for OSU Travelers. If required, registered travelers will be contacted by the Office of Information Security to complete the consultation. All other Travelers may contact the Office of Information Security to request a briefing, if desired.

International Traveler Risk Committee 

The International Traveler Risk Committee (ITRC) reviews and advises on policies and procedures for university-related international travel, including travel to Intermediate-Risk or High-Risk Destinations. The ITRC reviews High-Risk Travel Request Forms, may suggest or require additional steps to ensure traveler safety in certain cases, and provides a recommendation to the Senior Administrator on approval or denial of high-risk travel. The ITRC may also be consulted regarding trip interruption, evacuation, emergencies, or other International Travel-related situations.

ITRC members include:

  • Chair: Julianna Betjemann, Office of Global Engagement
  • Faculty representative: Scott Heppell, College of Agricultural Sciences
  • Insurance and Risk Management Services: Christina McKnight
  • Research Office, Export Controls: Mallory Day
  • University Information and Technology, Data Security: Tom Ordeman
  • OSU GO: Michele Justice
  • Student Health Services: Shanilka de Soyza
  • Controller's Unit, Travel & Expense Office: Alex Sims

Other offices may advise or be consulted as needed, including the Office of General Counsel; the Office of Audit, Risk and Compliance; the Division of Student Affairs; the Graduate School; or others.